Thursday, December 19, 2013

Charlie Chan - Portrait

Pencil on Paper

In June my dad emailed me a picture of a few of his favorite detective movie characters and asked me to draw them. I was in the middle of a lot of different projects so I told him I couldn't do it right now, but I would be happy to at a later time. I think Christmas is a good time, so I'll be posting some portraits. This is Warner Oland as Charlie Chan.
Let me just say that I am not a professional portrait artist. After the Bert (Dick Van Dyke) research portrait I posted months back I realized that most people, on the outside of fine art and illustration work, have a specific idea of what makes an artist and what they define as art. A lot of people say "I don't get it," including my loving husband, about my paper sculptures. I'm used to it and I love to hear the wisdom of other creative professionals that have family and friends that "don't get it" either.

No comments: